We are an award-winning Architecture and Interior design studio and workshop with a growing, international reputation for crafted, atmospheric buildings.
Founded in 2011, the studio’s work explores the visceral experience of Architecture. We combine a collaborative Agile design management system with an artisanal approach to making.
Liddicoat & Goldhill were awarded an RIBA award and Manser Medal nomination for the hand-crafted Shadow House. A Manser Medal commendation, RIBA Award and RIBA House of the Year longlisting came for the self initiated 'Makers House' followed by a prestigious Stephen Lawrence Award shortlisting and a thrid RIBA award for the kinetic ‘Ancient Party Barn’.
Named as one of Wallpaper* Magazine’s ‘Future 30’, the practice has twice been shortlisted for Building Design One-Off House Architect of the Year, longlisted for Young Architect of the Year and featured the Architecture Foundation's “New Architects 3: A decade of New British Talent”.
The studio’s work has been widely exhibited and published in the UK and abroad with several of their models selected for the architecture room of the Royal Academy of Arts.
Our ten strong team are lead by husband and wife Partners, David Liddicoat & Sophie Goldhill.
David Liddicoat MA (CANTAB) MA (RCA) RIAI
David combines material experimentation with knowledge of construction where he is continuously refining the design of simple and elegant assembly details.
David studied under Tom Holbrook, Peter Carl and Dalibor Vasely at Churchill College, Cambridge. He began working in international design studio Studio Daniel Libeskind in Berlin before returning to London to work in small, design-led practices.
David has been a regular contributor to BD Magazine, the AJ, Architecture Today & AR.. He has lectured at the good homes alliance and The New City, Wallpaper* lecture series. David is a keen cyclist and recently completed Cycle to Cannes.
Sophie Goldhill BSC HONS (UCL) MA (RCA) RIBA CR
Shortlisted for the AJ Emerging Woman Architect of the Year Award, Sophie combines Conservation specialism (she is an RIBA Conservation Registrant) with experience of on-site delivery of construction projects.
Her architectural imagination was sparked through painting at the Slade school of fine art. Sophie studied at The Bartlett followed by RCA. Her thesis project was shortlisted for the RIBA Silver Medal, won the Thames & Hudson school Prize and the Will Alsop award for Urbanism.
She has gained a breadth of experience at a variety of award-winning architect and urban design studios ranging for the multi national EDAW, international Foster & Partners down to establishing the small & bespoke Carl Turner Architects.
Sophie is an external part 3 examiner and is part of the London School of Architecture (LSA) practice network.
Awards & Press
Liddicoat & Goldhill is a multi award winning studio and has been published internationally both in industry press, broadsheets and lifestyle magazines.
- Makers House longlisted for RIBA House of the Year 2018
- Makers House winner of an RIBA London Award 2018
- Makers House shortlisted for the Manser Medal 2017
- Makers House receives a commended in the Sunday Times Homes Awards 2017
- Makers House shortlisted for New London Architecture Awards 2017
- Shortlisted for BD One-Off House Architect of the Year Award 2017
- Tailored House receives New London Architecture Awards commendation 2016
- Tailored House shortlisted for RIBA Award 2016
- Ancient Party Barn shortlisted for RIBA Stephen Lawrence Prize 2015
- Ancient Party Barn wins RIBA regional Award 2015
- Ancient Party Barn is a Blueprint design award finalist 2015
- Ancient Party Barn is an AJ Retrofit 2015 finalist
- The Janssens Kobler is shortlisted for the NLA Don’t Move, Improve! Award 2013
- The Orangery is shortlisted for the NLA Don’t Move, Improve! Award 2013
- Eden House commended at Sunday Times British Homes Awards 2013
- Shortlisted for BD One-Off House Architect of the Year Award 2013
- AJ Emerging Women Architect of the Year Award, Shortlisted 2012
- Daily Telegraph Homebuilding & Renovating Awards, Residential Design Winner 2011
- Longlisted for Young Architect of the Year Award 2011
- Daily Telegraph British Homes Award, Winner Best Small House 2011
- The Shadow House New London Architecture Awards, Commended 2011
- The Shadow House RIBA National Award 2011
- The Shadow House Manser Medal Nomination 2011
- The Weather Room Corus Structural Steel Awards, Certificate of Merit 2009
- The Sunday Times, UK
- The Daily Telegraph, UK
- The Guardian Weekend, UK
- Stella Magazine, UK
- The FT, UK
- The Evening Standard, UK
- The Independant, UK
- House & Gardens, UK
- Wallpaper*, UK
- Elle Decoration, UK
- enki magazine, UK
- Grand Design Magazine, UK
- DETAIL Magazine, UK & Germany
- The Architecture Journal, UK
- Architecture Today, UK
- Building Design Magazine, UK
- Home Building & Renovation, UK
- Interior Design Magazine, USA
- Costruire In Laaterizio, Portugal
- Brick Bulletin UK